Thursday, January 9, 2014

Seven Phrases Women Need to Remove from their Professional Language

You are confident. bold. energized. You are going to make a difference. This is your year- and you are going to show the world the person you are meant to be. In the vain of New Years resolutions, we have all thought about how we will present ourselves physically, spiritually and professionally. But making some key changes to your vernacular can also jump start the positive and confident impression that you are going to show the world this year. Here are a few phrases that you should vow to keep out of (or drastically limit) in your daily professional conversations:

1. "Just"

"I just think that..."
"If I just..."
"I was just checking"

Just minimizes what you are going to say to finish your thought. Just is an appropriate word to use when you are talking about justice system, or making a just decision. When I hear women use this phrase (often myself), I cringe and want to take it out of their mouths. Be bold. Speak your mind. No need to minimize what you have to say. You aren't a tentative person, stop speaking like one.

2. "Almost"

"I almost wonder if..."
"I almost think that.."

I hear this one (almost-hehe) all of the time. We use this word when we don't want to be perceived as a know-it-all or too aggressive, but it takes all of the power out of what you want to say. You don't almost think something, you think it! If you are unsure, you can either be quiet until you are confident or start the phrase with "My thought/opinion is..." and then explain yourself. Not everyone has to agree with you, but they certainly will not if you almost think something.

3. "I'm sorry, but..."

No you aren't sorry. THATS OKAY. Stop apologizing. Replace "I'm sorry but I believe that," with "I believe that." You are quick, educated, and have a mind of your own. No need to apologize in a conversation to help another person save face. They won't save yours.

4. "I don't know..."

If you really don't know, then zip your lip. You don't have to fill voids in conversations. Stay quiet, and think about it for awhile. Chances are your opinion will come or google will help you. It's okay to nod or say that you will have to think about it.

5. "Like"

While it is incredible important to remove all Valley Girl terminology from your vocabulary post age 16, I am talking about the comparative "like." It is okay to use this every now and again, so long as you pepper its use with "for example," "comparatively," "similarly" ect. Using the word "like" too often will allow the chauvinistic bosses of the world to put you in the "silly girl" box. Don't let them.

6. "Actually"

"I was actually just thinking about that"
"Actually I just visited there."

Actually implies surprise. Are you surprised that you had an intelligent thought? That you are cultured or that you are thinking the same thing as a colleague or superior? Of course you aren't you brilliant girl- stop presenting yourself that way to others.

7. "I feel"

" I feel that I deserve"
"How do you feel about that?"

When you are talking about feelings, use the word feel. When you are talking about thoughts use thought. 90% of the time when we use the phrase "I feel," we are really trying to express a thought or opinion. Use the right term for the right situation. 

You know your self worth. You know that you are capable, witty, and hard working. Speak like the boss you know you are. 





No comments:

Post a Comment